Barker Mill

Barker Mill, Mill Creek Road

Inside the Barker Mill

Inside the Barker Mill

Barker Mill

1400 Mill Creek Road, Gladwyne, PA

Built along Mill Creek around 1812, Barker Mill underwent alterations and additions throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth century. The mill initially produced munitions but was converted to a carpet yarn mill in the 1880s. Having just converted to steam power, it survived a devastating flood in 1893 that largely destroyed Lower Merion’s milling industry and continued to produce rug yarns through 1956. In the 1950s, it transitioned to light industrial—primarily office space. A singular, notable example of its kind, Barker Mill remains the last mill standing in Lower Merion. Its imposing presence along Mill Creek continually reminds us of the township’s early development and industrial history. Barker Mill is locally designated as a Class 1 historic resource.

O’Neill Properties purchased the mill building in 2003 with plans to convert it to a condominium complex. Approvals for the condominiums took several years, and as economic conditions changed, plans were put on hold. The building, already in decline in 2003, has presently sat vacant and unused for the last nine years.

In December 2012, O’Neill Properties placed Barker Mill and its 2.5 acres up for auction. Several bids were received but the property remains on the market.