English Village - Elbow Lane chimney
This 1920′s enclave of 29 Tudor style homes was designed to recall a medieval village centered on a “green” (now occupied by 2 ranch houses). With half-timbered exteriors, steeply pitched roofs, leaded casement windows, and brick wall cladding and chimneys with brick and stone inserts in interesting patterns, the homes on Loves Lane and Arthurs Round Table were created by the architect and developer team of brothers – S. Arthur and Donald Love.
The village owes much of its appearance to the studied organization of the buildings in it; located within close proximity of one another on a serpentine-like street plan, the houses in the district contribute to the creation of a neighborhood that is visually, if not physically, isolated from surrounding development. All 29 original homes remain in this remarkably intact neighborhood.
Long ago determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places, English Village was made a Lower Merion local historic district in June, 2010.