Inwood Barn door
Inwood Farm Barn
Conshohocken State Road at Spring Mill Road, Gladwyne
Inwood Farm Barn has appeared on every WatchList since 2005 when its owner first filed a demolition permit. This classic nineteenth-century Pennsylvania bank barn was originally part of the Inwood Farm of the Broades family, who were among the earliest settlers of Lower Merion. It later became known as Aramink Farm and operated as a dairy farm until 1929.
Several years ago, the barn and its 9.3-acre site were purchased with the intent of subdividing and developing the land. Although Lower Merion Township required that the new owner market the barn for one year before reviewing a subdivision plan that included demolition, a buyer was not found. In 2011, the township approved a Preliminary Plan to subdivide the site into five building lots for single-family homes.
The township also set a condition that the owners make a good-faith effort to have the barn materials salvaged (in whole, in parts, or for materials). Unfortunately, no buyer has been found for this either. Even though the owners have taken no further steps to subdivide and develop the land, the plans could move forward at any time, and this historic barn continues to remain under threat of demolition.