Merion Friends Meetinghouse
Montgomery Avenue, Merion Station
Sometimes a modest building can rise to greatness not because of its architect or architecture, but simply because of its history. Constructed in 1695 as the first public building in Lower Merion and the first religious building in Pennsylvania, the Meetinghouse has thankfully changed remarkably little over the ensuing centuries, and today is used for the very same purpose for which it was built in 1695. The Merion Friends Meetinghouse is a hand-built, functional building crafted by Welsh Quakers in a very simple T-shaped floor plan. The Lower Merion Historical Society considers this, another National Historic Landmark, to be the most pictured Quaker meetinghouse in America.