Gingko Lane and Spring Mill Road, Gladwyne
In 1892, Quaker architect William Lightfoot Price designed this French Gothic chateau for Alan Wood Jr., then president of the Alan Wood Steel Company in Conshohocken. Built in Gladwyne uphill of the Schuylkill River on one of Lower Merion’s highest points, Price adorned it with multiple pinnacles surrounding a tall red pyramidal roof over the central great hall, described by one writer as “the tallest peak of a small mountain range consisting of turrets, gables and tall chimneys.” The interior was as elaborate as the exterior, with a grand stone fireplace, great stair, and encircling balcony, with carved, stained oak throughout. For a short time, the building fell into disrepair and disuse. In 1953, Father Devine reclaimed the building to make it the country estate of the Peace Mission Movement. Woodmont is now designated a National Historic Landmark.